Go to table-of-contents
Go to curriculum-alignment-in-sps [parent index]
An exellent report that address this question as the main theme or as a sub-theme:
- https://coreknowledge.org/CK/about/research/Report40.pdf. Questions that this report speaks to include the following: Is Curriculum Alignment best practice? [No, since the district doesn't necessarily always pick the best curriculum. Think of SPS' adopted math curricula!] The experience of teachers in a curricularly aligned, data-driven, standardized-test-oriented reformed district.
Whole Language and Phonics
- Why do I list "Whole Language and Phonics" as a sup-topic this index? What if the District chooses, of these two approaches, the inferior approach? Public school children will suffer the consequences.
- http://www.halcyon.org/wholelan.html Best article so far to give pros and cons of Phonics Wins out. This article indicates that Whole Language curriculum leads to lower levels achievement on broad measures of achievement.
- For some interesting blog essays/comments on this topic, search the Core Knowledge site: http://www.coreknowledge.org/CK/search.htm, and use the search string "whole language phonics"
- for more interesting articles, search the web: google "whole language versus phonics"